help wanted

friends,

i thought it is a good idea to mount /usr read-only so as the enhance
system security. i have accordinly put /usr on a separate partition on my
linux box (rhl 7.0). now, however, i am at a loss as to how to install
software that will put stuff in /usr. i have come up with a kludge by
which a script edits my /etc/fstab so that /usr is shown an mouting as rw
and another script changes /etc/fstab back to /usr mouting as ro. i run
the first script, reboot the machine (so now /usr is available rw),
install the software, run my second script and reboot the machine to go
back to my usual setup. this is sort of feeling like windows. surely,
there must be a better way to do this. any suggestions?

sriram

ps: dont give me the obvious like umount /usr, mount /usr with -rw option.
it does not work. the umount fails saying file system is busy.