communicating with modem

 Hi,
   I am facing a problem with connecting linux to the internet.
   I am using RH6.2 and modem is Zyxel Elite 2864.
   When I issue the command
   cu -l ttyS1
   it is not responding to the at commands.
   The entries in the mgetty.log.ttyS1 shows

     yS1 init chat failed, exiting...:  Interrupted system call
     #### failed in mg_init_data dev=ttyS1, pid=1134
  What this error means? Do i need to set any setserial or some
  simillar tool need to run?

TIA,
Sambaiah Kilaru.