Yamaha OPL3-SAx

hi,

    Suraj>  But I read in the kernel docs that when a snd card in
    Suraj> detected all the respective services such as MIDI, ESD,
    Suraj> AUDIO etc., are initialised. Why

    Suraj>  isn't this happenning? Am I supposed to change the major,
    Suraj> minors of /dev/audio, etc.,?

 Card config:
 CS4232 MIDI at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0
 OPL3SA2 at 0x370 irq 9 drq 0,1
 OPL3SA2 MIDI at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0
 Loopback MIDI Device drq 0

The above are the devices that have been successfully initialised.
The ones with brackets are not detected.  Technically this should work
fine.  But unfortunately the line,

 Audio Devices:

is empty therefore your sound card doesnt work.

I used to have a YMF719.  Here are the parameters that used to work.

I prefer compiling sound as a module.  So here is what I remember I
used to do.  I would compile the opl3sa2 and all the modules necessary
for it.  I think opl3, mss, mpu401, ad1848 and opl3sa2 should do.
Read the docs for details.  Then I played with installing the modules
by doing modprobe opl3sa2 with different io, mss_io, mpu_io, irq, and
dma channels.  Finally I got one particular setting working and here
is my old /etc/modules

--
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
# ...

Maybe you could try this.

hope this helps,