Re: Apache Redirect Qn

Oommen Thomas proclaimed:
> Is it possible to have the /directory alias on new server (which will
> now be www.compnayname.com) point to https://oldserverIP/directory, so
> that everything works as before?

So what you are saying is that when someone visits
https://www.companyname.com/directory, they get taken to
https://oldserverIP/directory, right?

I think there might be a problem.  You see mod_rewrite is about dynamically
rewrite URLs based on some conditions.  The fact here is that
companyname.com and oldserverIP are two seperate machines.  When a user
goes to https://www.companynname.com/directory, the mod_rewrite rule in
apache creates a new URL https://oldserverIP/directory  It DOES NOT fetch
the contents of this URL and serve it as
https://www.companyname.com/directory.  It merely sends back a directive to
the browser asking it to fetch the contents from
https://oldserverIP/directory.

When the browser fetches https://oldserverIP/directory, it initiates a
public key exchange wuth the server.   This is where the server certificate
comes into play.  The browser will detect that the certificate that the
server presents is for www.companyname.com while the name of the server
seems to be oldserverIP.  It will pop an alert box asking the user what to
do.  This, in many case, is bad User Experience.

Thaths
--
Homer: Mel Gibson is just a guy Marge, no different than me or Lenny.
Marge: Were you or Lenny ever named Sexiest Man Alive?