Apache Redirect Qn

Hi,

I have a qn regarding Redirect in Apache.
Looks like this is possible using mod_rewrite, but the docs doesnt give a
directy answer to my problem.

I have a webserver now with www.companyname.com.
Also I have secure content there going to
https://www.companyname.com/directory/...

We plan to split the homepage (insecure) contents and the secure stuff
onto two separate servers and use the same Verisign cert.

What we need is to have a new server have the www.companyname.com DNS
entry and the Apache on that have a redirect for /diretory to
oldseverIP/directory, with the Verisign ceret working properly. As
Verisign cert is in the name of www.companyname.com, I dont want to use
oldservernewname.company.com in the redirect, as the browser might display
a warning, the SSL cert being in the name of www.companyname.com.

Is this possible using mod_rewrite?
If so how?

TIA.