modem problems

hi !
	though not new i've always been a passive participant( what !!???)
of ilugc !
 	I wonder if somebody can help me out with this :

	i have a "Motorola 56kbps internal modem" (that cheap 1000/- thing
available in the market).in windows its being shown as connected to port
#3. I tried the samething in KDE's kppp ( - i have RedHat 6.2 ), it either
says 'modem line busy' or 'modem not detected' or some other error message
but never seems to be working.i tried minicom but that turned out to b
more painful ! everything looks perfect in windows once i installed the
driver given in the CDROM.i'm sure many guys(gals ? i wonder if there r
any here !) around use this modem (it's cheap man !), so , can somebody
help me out ?!

 ( BTW , kppp never had trouble putting an external 56kbps modem into work
   without any additional configuration - just to tell u that kppp is
   installed fine in my comp!)

pl somebody help me ......
beep beep
hang up !