modem problem

        hi,
             I 've a problem with my modem, i have recently installed 6.2
in my system. its not able to detect my modem. i configured the KCPP, but
wheneyer i try to querry the modem, it gives "sorry, the modem is busy". i
tried with all possible combination,but either says "modemis not detected"
or "it is busy". i had 6.0 before, so i thought 6.2 will autodetect it.
    so,please help me up in setting my dialup connection in linux.
             thanks in advance.

VIPS(ug97063)
# 206-MANDAKINI,
I.I.T MADRAS-600036