Formal(?) Agenda for chennailug - LONG

The thread on Formal membership prompted this:

<brave declaration>
I dont mind being singed.
</brave declaration>

<not-so-brave modifier>
I am no Giardano Bruno. I do not want to be burnt to a crisp cinder
</not-so-brave modifier>

<disclaimer>
Intention is <NOT> to hurt/offend anybody
</disclaimer>

The following observations/comments/opinions are in no particular order.

1. We - linux users -have benefited from chennailug.  FOr example, I recall
someone pointing out that Dr Sriram's sessions on sendmail would have cost
~Rs.3000 in any conference. And the coverage would have been less
'authoritative' -pun intended :-> .

2. The atmosphere is very open; less chauvinistic - for example, we have had
discussion/demos relating to *BSD, BeOS. Even the 'other OSes' are
mentioned/discussed without raising hell and threats of excommunication.

3. The list is very helpful - (even with the mandatory 'man  x' replies )
there have been many good,
descriptive discussions on a variety of topics.

4. Even when we had some unacceptable behaviour, we were very civilised and
calm. As a bonus we were treated to some theory and tips about the workings of
the mail system- I refer to the spammer from within.

5. Within a short time we organised and ran two successful public presence
participations. The spirit of the people
and the enthusiasm was a treat to watch at the LDD and at the exhibition.

6. <plug> The two corporate presences are linuxers first and commercial
companies next. </plug>

But ...

a. we are still a small community and not fully representative . We do not
reach all linux users in the city.

b. we are constrained by the very informal nature; for example we have been
talking of install fest for quite some time, but nothing has been done yet.

c. This raises a basic question: Is propagating/increasing the spread of
linux/open source a job of the lug or is it only for existing linux users? In
other words, how much evangelism should we do? or is it the job of
os4/lateral/.. and not that of the lug? - possible basis for conflicts that
was mentioned in one post

d. the discussions at the meetings need to be more structured - topics should
be announced well in advance.  speakers identified earlier; and more publicity
given.

e. there is a certain degree of accepting whatever  is done as okay, since it
is voluntary. I will take one example

if someone volunteers to write the minutes/be the webmaster, it is that
person's responsibility to ensure that if he is occupied someone else is made
to pitch in ...(Re-read disclaimer please)

But even the acceptance of the above could be seen as unnecessary
hardening/formalization. I am not saying that we must all look at it that way;
but at the moment it is not clear whether such expectations are within the
spirit of the lug or not.

f. we need to publicise our meetings more

g. We need to meet at least twice a month - but this assumes that reaching
(more) people is part of the lug's agenda.

Suggestions:

->All meetings to be announced through an  insertion in 'Engagements column of
'THE HINDU'

->Meet as usual in the third week at iit and in the first week at another
place - lateral and os4 can provide the place to start with.

-> Run - regular? - installfests.

But before all this answer the basic question: should the lug look at
popularising linux as an important activity
or as a peripheral activity?

P Asokan