Re: (no subject)

On Fri, 12 May 2000, M K Saravanan wrote:

<mksarav>
<mksarav>hi,
<mksarav>
<mksarav>  kindly answer to the following question posted by one of my friend. She
<mksarav>he is not a ilugc member answer directly to his personal id.
<mksarav>
<mksarav>** mks
<mksarav>
<mksarav>---------- Forwarded message ----------
<mksarav>Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:38:59 +0530
<mksarav>From: Ganesh Kumar A L *** TELEINDIA *** <ganesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mksarav>Reply-To: Ganesh Kumar A L *** TELEINDIA *** <al_ganesh_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
<mksarav>To: mksarav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mksarav>
<mksarav>Dear Mr Saravanan,
<mksarav>   I am unable to start my Apache server.(When I tried to open it from IE,I get Socket Error).If I give ps aux ,I get inetd running in PID 560.I couldnt locate apachectl file itself.Pls guide me how to restart apache and make it work as a daemon.
<mksarav>
<mksarav>Ganesh Kumar
<mksarav>(Ps: all the other components are running succesfully.ftp,telnet,traceroute are fine )

Looks like you have apache running thru inted, which is not at all a good
practice, as the apache docs cleraly states.

Inb that case, you will have a line in /etc/services which defines an
alioas for the IP port 80. (this can be www or http). If you check the the
/etc/inetd.conf file, you can see the httpd deamon being launched
corresponding to this alias. Thats how apache runs from inetd.

So to switcover to standalone mode u need to do the following

1. comment out the line corresponding to apache in /etc/inetd.conf and run
killall -HUP inetd

2. Open the httpd.conf file of apche (in RHL, it comes in /etc/httpd/conf;
use 'locate httpd.conf' to see the exact location in your machine) and
change the line

ServerType inetd

SeverType standalone

Then run 'killall -9 httpd; httpd'
(If u need, give full path of httpd binary).

Now u r all set, and will have apache listening at port 80 as per the
default settings.

Hope this helps.

-
Thanks						   Imagine Technologies
Oommen				         	    234, Huntington Ave
					 	       Boston, MA 02115
                                             Phone (Work):(617)437-9234
                                                   (Home):(617)770-9345
				   email:oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx