Re[2]: Sun TV - Anecdote

Hi Dr. Sriram,

>> Oh, this story goes a little bit back in time(1997?), when they were
>> using VSNL to transmit to Singapore and downlink from there. You
DPS>                                           ^^^^^^^^
DPS> ahh, slip of the finger; you mean uplink
I was talking from the VSNL perspective, hence switched the up/down...

>> would lose a little over second there. (speed of light calcs anyone?
>> The satellite is ~35kms above the planet. Throw in equipment startup
DPS>                    ^^^^^^

DPS> ahh, one more slip of the finger; it's 35000 km. the round trip time is
DPS> usually well under 500 milliseconds, but since this is a constant, it can
DPS> be taken care of.
ahh.. trying to tpye two k's in a row :) I distinctly remember the
timing being off by atleast a second, because you had two monitors
side-by-side... but then the Sat wasn't the only point of delay...

>> One question : how many times have you checked the news clock against
>> time1.iitm.ac.in ?
DPS> the first time i noticed it, it blew my mind; so, i have been checking
DPS> randomly about once a week for the last 3 months or so.
ah.. have put out a query... lets see what we get...

DPS> ps: more trivia. as of a couple of months ago, sun tv (and family) were
DPS> still using vsnl for uplink. they have several multi-megabit links from
DPS> their studios (near teynampet intersection) to vsnl. sun, surya, udaya etc
DPS> all feed through these links to vsnl and then up to the satellite. smaller
DPS> players like vijay still have small rooms at the vsnl facility where there
DPS> is a guy with lots of video players and tapes and a wall clock (!). the
DPS> video signal then is fed to vsnl for uplinking.
The big players have their own uplinks these days, but some still
retain one portion for in-case-of-emergency stuff... wall clocks and
all :)

iirc, they also had a wireless local loop setup courtesy IIT
Madras, anyone know what came of that?

DPS> this vsnl facility on
DPS> beach road is one of the most fun places i have visited. so much
DPS> technology, mostly applied in everyday use. all the internet pipelines,
DPS> the international speech circuits, cable tv signals all come there. and
DPS> they are all mixed up in the right proportions and sent on to appropriate
DPS> destinations.
The Fun places are the ITMC (with all the little Intl circuits, and
all the smart ppl :), and Gatex, our little Internet facility... ahh..
all the Solaris boxen... :)

BGa