Re: Converting Outlook express mails to pine

Hi Karthik,

k> I am running a dual boot machine with RHL 6.1 and the other OS. I want to
k> switch to Linux full time, but some of my important mails are held up in
k> 'Outlook express' for win'95 . Same for my address book, bookmarks etc.
k> I'd like to know if it is possible to import them to pine or kmail or any such
k> format so i can read them in my linux box. (Even netscape messenger would do !)
iirc, pine and all programs use the same unix mbox format, as does NS.
Does OE use .msg or the .dbx(is that Outlook?) ? There are convertors
out there that convert msg to mbox. The .dbx is a modified(?) mbox
format... so msg2mbox should be able to handle it... in the worst case
download the mailer "The Bat!" from
http://www.ritlabs.com
its about 1.3 MB, that'll convert your current format to unix mbox
which you can then move into the Linux partition...

As for bookmarks, are these IE booksmarks? again you have free
convertors to convert bookmarks to HTML.

As for the address book, unless OE lets you export to some/any format,
you are, in a word, sunk. If it can export, then let me know what
formats it can export to, and I'll see if I have any tools that'll let
you convert...

k> further, can i convert a fat16 drive to ext2 without erasing the data on it ?
No that I'm aware of...

BGa