Re: Suse 6 on Chip CD

From: "Ashwin D" <ashwind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ashwin> Am using an Intel 810 mobo and have been unable to install Suse 6.3
supplied with Chip. The graphics resolution is Ashwin> way too low on Yast2
which means I cannot see most options.

    Install using text mode, and then XF86Setup | xvidtune | SuperProbe ...

Ashwin> Can I increase resolution with some command line param for set up

    Not too sure. The fine manual(s) might help you there.

Ashwin> If I use text mode, it is unable to see free space on my partittion
even though i give up my RH 6.1 partition for Ashwin> deletion -

    Uh huh? Graphics mode gives you free space but text mode doesn't ?
Yikes... /me hugs debian :c)

    Well, I'm certainly no SuSE warrior ... but my experience with RedHat
.. you need to have some free space already assigned ... and they should be
primary partitions or somesuch .. or Disk Druid cribs like mad ...
whatever...it takes a very short while (under redhat) to fix it. .. I guess
if you play around with disk druid/cfdisk, you should be able to do it,
too..

Ashwin>could this be some problem specific to Yast 2. Does anyone know how I
can enter setup using Yast1?

    Yeah, install YaST1 and fire it up as /usr/local/bin/YaST1 or whatever?
*shrug* I'm guessing like crazy right now.
    BTW, if you're game for some excitement, you -could- go ahead and
install debian on -top- of the existing SuSE .. thats basically what I
did... I installed slackware 4.0 on this box ... and just to play around, I
install slink on -TOP- of it... as in, I could do "apt-get install ssh" and
apt from under debian would do it for me... and I could run pkgtool and I'd
get slackware's interface ... neat huh?! It worked for awhile ... and then I
moved onto other things... but it -does- work.

Ashwin> Regret getting I 810 mobo with integrated sound and video - pain in
the u know where as far as Linux is concerned. Ashwin> too

    No no no , Intel i810 boards rock. Shanu runs -awesome- stuff on his box
, running Debian... I guess when it comes to XFree86 , it doesnt matter
which distribution you use. What you should do at this stage is check out
the Linux-India-Help archives by going to http://lists.linux-india.org/ and
search for the string "i810" and IIRC, there's a mini-HOWTO written by
shanu, somewhere in http://www.exocore.com/linux/ .... and if all these
fail... ( which wont ), email Linux-India-Help (LIH) and ask about i810
HOWTO ... and someone will point you to one of the aforementioned URLs :c)

Ashwin> Anyone else with I810 mobo on linux?

    Yeah, refer above.

    HTH

    Ravi.
< ravi@xxxxxxxxxxxx >