qmail , smtp server and port 25

>>>>> "vishnusi" == vishnusi  <vishnusi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

    vishnusi> Hi I'm having a slight problem. I installed qmail and
    vishnusi> carried out the various tests suggested. I have been
    vishnusi> able to send mail from various Mua's and the mail is
    vishnusi> delivered correctly. I have four processes running.

	Therefore your SMTP works fine, right?

    vishnusi> Netstat -l reveals that smtp is running and according to
    vishnusi> /etc/services smtp is listening on port 25. Yet I had a

	Yeah, that just confirms that inference.

    vishnusi> problem when I tried to configure fetchmail to download
    vishnusi> mail. Fetchmail connects to the local smtp server. I
    vishnusi> then found that even manually I'm unable to telnet to
    vishnusi> port 25 of my machine.  This is what I get

	My 0.02p on this matter ; I noticed that I had *precisely* the
same problem with telnetd - port 23 - because I had my /etc/inetd.conf
messed up... make sure that the entry for your
SMTP/POP3/infact,everything else, is in one line...
	I have

smtp   stream   tcp   nowait  mail   /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

    vishnusi> Trying 127.0.0.1...  Connected to localhost.localdomain.
    vishnusi> Escape character is '^]'.  Connection closed by foreign
    vishnusi> host.

	By what I gathered , this basically means that the port is
open .. because the first few bits in /etc/inetd.conf ensures
that... [?] and the daemon isn't running ... basically , all I have is
a bunch of ideas to use to troubleshoot.. and none of them would be
the real "solution" ... :)

	G'luck

	Ravi.

--