qmail , smtp server and port 25

Hi
	I'm having a slight problem. I installed qmail and carried out the
various tests suggested. I have been able to send mail from various Mua's and
the mail is delivered correctly. I have four processes running.
Netstat -l   reveals that smtp is running and according to /etc/services smtp
is listening on port 25. Yet I had a problem when I tried to configure
fetchmail to download mail. Fetchmail connects to the local smtp server. I then
found that even manually I'm unable to telnet to port 25 of my machine.
		This is what I get

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.