Re: Mail server

  Ram> Hi luggies, i am entrusted with the responsibility of setting

<snip>

  Ram> to use sendmail for the same. Has anybody implemented qmail? i
  Ram> have heard configuring qmail is much easier than sendmail? any
  Ram> comments? what would you suggest sendmail/qmail/?  Tips of any

<snip>

        From what I've read and heard, qmail is pretty robust and
very, very secure. There's a US $1000 prize for anyone who finds an
exploit for qmail that's been lying unclaimed for a couple of years
now. Other advantages apparently include capabilities for users to
manage their own mailing lists (whether this is desirable is a policy
decision), small size, speed and easy configuration. Also, it provides
a new, apparently more reliable and crashproof type of mailbox called
Maildir. Of course, your mail readers need to support the format.

        Other options you have include exim (rather easy to configure
and monitor, but a real pain when you need something out of the
ordinary, as is usually the case with MTAs), and Postfix (never got it
working properly, mail kept getting stuck in the queue).

        Personally, I'd give sendmail a wide berth. Unless you know
the Bat book well enough to recite it backwards, of course ;-).

        Hope that helps,

                                                -arun

--
arun krishnaswamy      <kar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>    <aroon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>