Re:Re:Re: is there any way to expand the fs size

> >>       On ext2, if you want to increase a partition size,
> >>you have to copy all the files to a spare partition (tar and gzip if you
> >>have a fast processor , I/O reduced(compression)  so faster ) , increase
> >>the partition size with fdisk and then create a new filesystem on this
> >>partition with mkfs.ext2 and then copy the files back.
> >
> >First of all thanks for the reply.Now i have a few questions going by
>what
> >you say if i want to add some disk space (which in DOS would be a trivial
>
>       In windows, it is not trivial. If your C: is full and you want to
>expand your c: how'll you do it ?

   you dont have to expand c: because in windows you can install new
software in any directory in any drive.(only some software insist on
installing part of themselves in c:\program files\.)

> >thing)i have to create a new partition backup file and the copy them back
> >the new partition everytime i need to add disk space to my system.
> >Even if i do all this then how will the new system recognise this as the
>/
>
>       You can do it for / if you boot from a linux boot floppy.(Backup ,
>change partition size, create filesystem,  restore the backed up files ,
>and then run lilo.
>
>       For your case, you can make the new partition as usr,
>mkfs.ext2 /dev/disk2/partitionno
>mkdir /t
>mount /dev/disk2/partitionno /t
>cp  -a /usr /t
>init 1
>rm -rf /usr/*
>umount /t
>mount /dev/disk2/partitionno /usr
>rmdir /t
>init 3
>
>add an entry to /etc/fstab saying that this is to be mounted as /usr
>
>/dev/disk2/partitionno    /usr     1   1
>

>Now you can work, and you'll have lots of free space.
>Normally when you install software , they get installed in /usr or
>/usr/local

then i guess what i need is a new ad bigger /usr partition.

> >partition or whatever (/home)?? do i have to mount it as this everytime??
>or
>
> >that is an option in linux fdisk?
>      fdisk is only a partitioning utility.
>      If you want to mount a partition at boot up, add the appropriate
>entry in /etc/fstab
>
>      There is an HOWTO already which describes how to add a new
>disk/partition.
>
>It is simple
>
>mkdir /mnt-point
>
>mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdX/partitionno  (X to be substituted)
>
>mount /dev/hdX/partitionno /mnt-point

thanks for the reply which is a mini howto itself

regards

singh