Re: Reiserfs

>I want to get reiserfs working in my system.
>I downloaded the 2.2.13 and 2.2.14 patch for kernel. It >take a lot of time
>when i give the command

>/usr/src/linux-2.2.12/include/linux> patch ->p0 /root/downloads/patch-2.2.13

>I quit using Ctrl+C.

>Am i making some mistake.
        Yes you are !.

>I am using RH6.1. Is it >normal to take a long time
>for the patch to be applied. I have downloaded the >3.5.19 version of
>reiserfs for 2.2.14. A brief step by step description >to get rieserfs
>working would be appreciated.

  Check if you have installed the kernel source.
  The directory you are in appears wrong
   Normally  the kernel source (if installed) is in /usr/src/linux-2.2.X, (X is the kernel version no) and /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link to /usr/src/linux-2.2.X.
  After you have installed the kernel source and make /usr/src/linux to point to the kernel source directory, the steps are

   1. cd /usr/src
   2.patch -p0 /root/downloads/patch-2.2.13
   3. find linux -name "*.rej"
         (If you find any .rej file, then there's some error.
   4. find linux -name "*.orig"
         (You should not have any .orig file also)

   5.cd linux
     make menuconfig or make xconfig
     choose the appropriate kernel configuration
     make dep
     make clean
     make bzImage
   (  if the above succeeds , you'll have /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage )
     make modules
     make modules_install
     make install
     (This copies the bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.X)
         edit your /etc/lilo.conf to add an entry for the new kernel image

      lilo -v

       sync
       reboot
       Now you can use the new kernel with reiserfs support.

-George Samuel