Re: Checking Dynamic IP Address!!!!

  Elamurugu>    2. How can i assign my Static IP address to my Linux
  Elamurugu> Box. Assume that i already registred my domain name in

        Strictly speaking, you don't assign IP addresses to
boxes/machines, but to network interfaces (eth cards). The command to
bind IP address x.x.x.x to your first (maybe, only) Ethernet card is:

# /sbin/ifconfig  eth0 x.x.x.x

        There is a long list of options to ifconfig, read the man
page.

        Naturally, you don't want to be doing this every time you boot
your system. Put the ifconfig command somewhere in your start-up
scripts, so that addresses automatically get assigned on boot-up. This
is distribution specific. On a Debian machine, you'd put the above
command in the file, /etc/init.d/network.

                                                        -arun

--
arun krishnaswamy      <kar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>    <aroon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://prometheus.home.dhs.org>         Debian~FreeBSD~XEmacs~Gnus~fvwm