Character Cell Graphics JUNKING up. Pls. Help

Hi
  The character cell graphics doesn't seem to work suddenly for apps
such as
Linuxconf, Xconfigurator, mouseconfig, etc., . instead of the
borders and buttons some junk chars appear.

  I installed  8 apps (abi suite, abi fonts, Word Perfect, *tris,
Lincity,
doom, Nedit, siag office) from CHIP spl. issue CD. Its only after this
that I
find this change. Is it that one of these apps have changed the char
cell
graphics libraries? If yes how do I revert back to the Old libs?

   -Suraj