Re: newbie question on /proc directory

Hai,

proc is a pseudo filesystem, which provides interface to various kernel
data structures. It provides various usefull info, such as the pid's of
all running processess are listed as directories. So if you cd to /proc/1,
it gives details of the 'init' process, (such as a link to the executable
file, environment variables, ..etc.)

/proc also gives some vital info on the hardware.

/proc/pci     - Listing of PCI devices  (ie. do a 'cat /proc/pci')
/proc/cpuinfo - Details of your Processor
.
Browse the /proc directory & you'll find more interesting information.

For details see 'man proc'

Sreeji