Re: On my knees before dpkg ...

"K. Arun" proclaimed:
>         I've been wondering if there is any way to figure out
> reverse dependencies for a package, i.e. if I want to replace package
> foo_0.1-1.deb with foo-10.0.tar.gz, how do I identify the  packages
> which will break for they depend on miserable, hopelessly outdated
> foo_0.1-1.deb.

Not possible with a simple dpkg command.   Creative use of perl/awk and
/var/lib/dpkg/available can yield the results you are looking for.

I usually do the following:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install foo

This will tell me what other packages are going to be upgraded because of
an upgrade of foo.  Note that the list of packages that are going to be
upgraded != list of packages that depend on the foo.

Thaths
--
"Just go ahead and sue me! Everybody else does. The average settlement
                 is $68,000." -- Homer J. Simpson