Re: PCQ expo posters. [long]

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

<prabhu>What you'd need to run linux
<prabhu>-------------------------------
<prabhu>
<prabhu>	Linux, today, though popular, is still not preinstalled by our
<prabhu>hardware vendors as Windows is.  The first problem is therefore to
<prabhu>actually install linux on your machine.  PCQuest has done a lot in
<prabhu>this direction and has actually been responsible for the growing linux
<prabhu>user base in India.

I beg to differ.
In US, there are several companies, who bundle preinstalled Linux. Dell
and VA Linux are examples. In India too, as the price tag is very
important, some vendors (like MINICOMP) do ship with Linux installed.
But the trend is not very popular though.

In fact, the system in which I type this mail has been bought preinstalled
from VA Linux (in US) - although I have done lot of kernel recompile etc.

<prabhu>
<prabhu>What is a distribution?
<prabhu>------------------------
<prabhu><fill here>
<prabhu>
<prabhu>if newbie:
<prabhu>	use redhat/corel/caldera
<prabhu>else:
<prabhu>	you know what to use (Debian, of course)

Pls do not pass any judgemnet like this.
I would suggest saying the pros and cons and let people decide.
Else, it gives an impression that there are different 'types' of Linux
which are different and a qn of standards comes in.

Pls DO mention on dual boot, to emphasise that one need not sacrifice the
M$ OS to have Linux. Maybe one for kids and Linux for the techie
member in the family !!

Also, pls mention cases of BIG servers run on Linux. Like google. See what
they say.
  "To provide the net's best search results, Google operates what is
   probably the world's largest Linux cluster that puts many
   supercomputing centers to shame. For example, the current cluster
   contains 80 TB of disk storage and has an aggregate I/O bandwidth of
   about 50 GB/sec (that's bytes, not bits)."
Thats really inspiring, as there is no doubt that Google is THE best/fast
search engine available now, not considering the limitations it has.

<prabhu>
<prabhu>Big users of linux:
<prabhu>--------------------
<prabhu>Universities:
<prabhu>
<prabhu>IITM:
<prabhu>	Computer center uses Linux big time. So does the Aerospace
<prabhu>dept.  Entire departmental labs run on linux like the Aero labs
<prabhu><www.aero.iitm.ernet.in>. The ilugc list runs off a linux box!
<prabhu>
<prabhu>
<prabhu>Other univs please fill up.
<prabhu>
<prabhu>Corporate users:
<prabhu>	BIG NAMES HERE PLEASE.

Imagine Technologies

Not to project my company, but we are proud to say that we are the largest
users (in Madras at least) of Linux for production purposes. All our
servers (more than a dozen - in four locations, in India and US) are in
Linux. We use it for mission critical applications are have never found
Linux failing us, and our benchmarks show that Linux outperforms all other
OSs (whether as fileserver, nameserver, mailserver or webserver). And we
HAVE all these running on Linux, with very good uptimes.

We will give a detailed writeup on this, to show as a success story, right
there in Madras (Iam in US, so the usage of 'there' and not 'here').
Pls let me know whom this is to be handed over to? Roshan?

-
Thanks						   Imagine Technologies
Oommen				         	    234, Huntington Ave
					 	       Boston, MA 02115
                                             Phone (Work):(617)437-9234
                                                   (Home):(617)770-9345
				   email:oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
		      Toll-free Voice Mail/efax: (877)371-2330 x oommen