Monitor Problems...

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my monitor. Occasionally, while in X, the
monitor just blanks out, sometimes, even while I am working. Its something
like the suspend mode in win95 (you can hear the internals crackling
slightly & the led on the front glows on & off).

The last time somthing like this happened, the monitor conked off completely
& I had to pay this guy 900 bucks to fix it.

Why I'm mailing this to ILUGC is that this happens ONLY in Linux. I thought
this was a HW problem, but it shouldn't be affected by what OS I'm running,
right?

So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.
TIA,
mudit

PS: pl. feel free to flame me personally at ruchiem@xxxxxxxx