Re: CD player probs

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Sudhir Parasuram wrote:
> I remember rading/hearing (more likey the latter) somewhere that
> putting a Master/Slave combination of HDD/CD-ROM on the primary
> (same) IDE (??) will cause the databus to be shared. This COULD
> lead to a decrease in throughput (not noticeable easily).

yes, of course. the ide master/slave is a very simple technology. the two
devices share the cable; in fact, one can assume that the controller part
of the slave drive is not used and the master controller drives both
units. of course, the speed is limited to the lower of controller/drive
speed (so one can figure out what should be master in case of drives of
different speeds). if there are only two drives in the system, it would
generally make sense to put the two on the two independent ide interfaces
that are usually available. unless the cable select option is enabled on
the drives, it does not matter which drive is connected where on the
cable (it may not matter even if the option is enabled, but that is a
different story).

sriram