Re: gnu and linux

K Sambaiah proclaimed:
> What kind of choice. Choice of working not name. The problem with just
> calling Linux and not GNU/Linux  is people think that Linux is  completely
> devloped by Linus .

I have been using Linux exclusively for the last 3+ years.  I have been
actively involved in LI and ILUG-C for quite a while now.  I am no newbie.
I know that the Linux kernel was not entirely written by Linus.  I know
that a Linux distribution is not entirely Linus's efforts.

I also know that a typical Linux distribution is made up of GPL-ed software
(kernel, development tools etc.), LGPL-ed software (libc etc.),
BSD-licensed software (PPP, TCP/IP, ssh etc.), Artistic Licensed software
(perl etc.).

If you had cared to read my earlier comment you would have noticed that the
point is not about *who* owns the copyright.  It is about *what* copyright.

The fact that some of you have been repeatedly bringing the "who" angle
forward is very instructive.  You all seem to believe that RMS (a "who")
hasn't got enough exposure compared to Linus (another "who").

> If some body writes a program and he didn't get
> his credit (not money of course I am talking) it is a really frustating.

Ahhhh.  So *that* is the motivation behind the name change?  Credit?

> If you call GNU/Linux people question about GNU and you tend to explain
> what you see is actually devloped by lot of people.

I propose that in order to give full credit to Larry Wall you should all
call your favorite distribution as Red Hat GNU/Artistic/Linux.

Thaths
--
    "I have two questions for you: How much? and I'll take it."
                     -- Homer J. Simpson