Re: how to setup virtual hosts in apache web server

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     Vijay> In IIS, we can have multiple sites with one ip and one
>     Vijay> interface. Can we have something like that here.
>
> search.  I believe Prof. Sriram may know something more???
-------------------------------
hi all

since prabhu has volunteered my services, i suppose i have to reply.
binand raj has posted yesterday clearly outlining the options. it is quite
legal to have multiple hostnames pointing to a single ip address (or a
single hostname pointing to multiple ip addresses. however, one ip address
can point only to a single hostname and this hostname can have aliases etc
etc). in the above case, we are with single ip address and interface and
multiple hostnames. as pointed out by binand raj, apache does pick up the
hostname from the url and can be configured to serve various hostnames
with a single server and independent files for each site. there is nothing
for me to add to that post.

sriram