Re:How to change the block size in linux

Dear Kamesh,

kamesh jayachandran <kameshj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I have seen block size in my linux as 4k.In my college it is 1k block.In one
>of my remote server it is 512 bytes.
          How did you find it ? . Did you create a small file  and did a du -h that file.
          What is the size of your linux partition ?

>My question is how to change the block
>size .
          Why do you want to change the block size ?
mkfs.ext2 has a option to specify the block size.man mkfs.ext2 should give all that you need.

Which size is better.What is the relative merits of each one.

          Smaller implies less disk space is wasted by small files.Normally a minimum of one block has to be allocated. so if you have a 1 byte file , and if the block size is 32KB, then you waste 32KB -1byte.Suppose you have a huge number of those files , you can imagine!.Smaller block size results in slower speed.I'll be speaking about filesystems in the coming ilugc meet and I'll this in greater detail.

regards,
George