Re: Scripting languages and dilema

Hi
 ( i  use tcl/tk , so though i try to be neutral there might be some bias
.)

  Tcl/tk is used when you want to write  quick gui applications .
Perl  is used when you want to make use of its regular expressions / pattern
matching /replace features
  Perl has taken advantage of tk , i think you have perl-tk to write gui
applications in perl too .
 With Tcl/tk  the code you  write is more readable  ,  perl is usually for
write-once applications , it is difficult for a third person to read and
understand the code ..
You also have Incr Tcl/tk , you can write object oriented code using classes
and oo concepts . i think perl also supports objects
the most important adv of tcl/tk is its extendablity or ability to act as
glue language ..
you can write code in C C++ java and then integrate it with tcl/tk shell ..
e.g  write complex apps in C like algorithms which require speed, integrate
it with tcl shell .. write a tk gui interface for the C app ..
this feature makes it very useful tool and widely used  for automated
testing
for more complete info
http://www.sunworld.com/swol-10-1997/swol-10-scripting.html

Harish