pppd

how do I check if pppd is running and installed properly on my machine?
Though, KPPP starts, I am just not able to connect to the Internet, since I
get the error message saying "ppp is not installed and pppd must run." I
checked the daemons which are running and actually pppd runs. Any clues? I
am facing this problem on a Laptop with 56 K Billionton Modem. I guess, this
may not pose a problem though.

Sriram