wdm

hi,

    Gautam> support and one without ) (d) I did *not* modify
    Gautam> /etc/inittab for an X login. I think the runlevel is still
    Gautam> at 2.

	Debian doesnt mess with run levels to get xdm/wdm started at
run time.  It merely starts wdm just as any service in the SysV init
seq by adding links from the /etc/rc2.d/ dir to the script in
/etc/init.d  to remove or add services do $ man update-rc.d   But for
all the definitive info read the debian policy manual
(/usr/doc/debian-policy/).

    Gautam> the keyboard still is detected, right?  (c) Yes, the
    Gautam> keyboard works in Windows.  (d) I have this problem in
    Gautam> both my old and new kernels ( both 2.0.36 )

Is your X server setup properly?  If not boot into single user mode,
and do # update-rc.d -f wdm remove
reconfigure X, check it out, and then man update-rc.d and add wdm in
by doing something like  # update-rc.d wdm defaults

HTH
In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death -- even vegetarians.
		-- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4