Cleaning up HDD

>>>>> "RAVIKANT" == RAVIKANT K RAO <ravikant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
    RAVIKANT> i've not given it the full space it wants. So I cant
    RAVIKANT> start X.  I need a command line equivalent of
    RAVIKANT> uninstalling things I wont need.  TIA - Ravi.

Someone mentioned rpm -e <package>.  I always found that the most
important thing is to know what packages you need and what you dont.
To find out that from a rpm -qa | less is not that easy since some of
the names are obscure.  Do something like $ rpm -qi `rpm -qa` |less
(or will a $ rpm -qai |less work?)  and read the descritions of all
the packages and then carefully decide.  I dont remember too much now
so do an $ rpm --help and man rpm and then do the needful.

You could also try out the rpmutils package.  It is on the RH5.0 May
CD.  I dunno if it ships with RHL now.  In the worst case look at
http://rufus.w3.org/RPM/ which is the definitive source for all the
latest (S)RPMS.  The rpmutils includes a script which gives a concise
list of the packages sorted by group, a one line description, and the
size of the package.  Very useful stuff when you need to prune your HDD.

In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death -- even vegetarians.
		-- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4