Re: rescue disk

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, M K Saravanan wrote:

mksara> On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Periaswamy, Senthilkumar wrote:
mksara>
mksara> >
mksara> > >     hda : status timed out : status =0xd0{Busy}
mksara> > >     hda : no DRQ after issuing WRITE
mksara> > >     ide0 : reset :success.
mksara> >
mksara>
mksara> Similar problem occurs in my system also.  All the system we have are
mksara> brand new and have Seagate hard disk. Is this is a hard disk problem or
mksara> what?
mksara>
mksara> mks
mksara>

Typically, this is the hard disk problem.
Or even the data cable can be faulty.

One thing Iam sure.
We used to get such errors and had to replace/reinstall twice or thrice
the hard disks of some critical Linux servers, a couple of years back. ALL
these harddisks (mostly new) were Seagate. But now we dont use that brand
at all on Linux, and only Quantum or Samsung, and NEVER had this repeated.

I have heard from some vendors that Seagate used to have major complaints
in some pieces and have lots of crashed ones lying in their godown, which
were replaced on Warranty/AMC.

This is based on my experience (for at least 5 or 6 iterations with
Seagate). Yours can be different, depending on the luck ....
Iam not taking any sides....

-
Oommen