Re: Can any one please tell me..

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Biju Nair wrote:

bnair> Hi,
bnair>     I dont know whether this is the proper site for posting this.But i am
bnair> sure that defenitely someone must have an answer to my problem. I
bnair> have two machines which runs linux 5.2 .now the problem .is there
bnair> any hardware available in the market by which i can control both
bnair> these machines with a single keyboard, mouse & a single monitor?
bnair> My plan is to make one machine as the development mac. &
bnair> the other one a test mac.

My 2c...

Unix, as it was since the early 70's, is a networking OS and you need not
sit in front of the machine to use it. In fact most servers in the
world are manned remotely only, either in the same office or even in a
different continent. I do administer 2 Linux servers in US, from Madras,
without using its keyboard/monitor :-) So I dont think there is any need
for any such hardware, as all the resources in one machine can be remotely
used from the other. So the only question is whether a server will work
w/o a kbd and monitor. Well, you dont need a monitor, but while booting if
the kbd is not there, it might give a problem. Else OK.

-
Oommen.