Re: Search Engine for Tamil

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Is there an encoding standard for Tamil pages on the web?  Japanese pages,
> for example, are usually encoded in Shift-JIS or EUC-JP.
>
> IIRC, there is a code-page (my termnology might be screwed up here) for
> Tamil in Unicode (UTF-16?).
>
> Thaths

Earlier each software vendor followed their own encoding standard for
Tamil.  AFter two year effort, finally now Tamilnadu Govt. standardised
the Tamil Glyph coding for Computer usage in the "TAMILNET'99" Conference.
Currently there are two version of encoding,

* Mono lingual Glyph encoding (To provide good printing quality kerning is
avoided as much as possible)

* Bi Lingual Glyph encoding -- here 0-127 will be ASCII and 128 - 255 will
be tamil characters.  This method will be very useful to send bilingual
email and tamil characters can be read like akaram tamil editor in UNIX.

The fonts following these standards will start with TAMxxx for monolingual
and TABxxx for bilingual (TA - for tamil) e.g. TAMAnna font.

You can use user-defined coding option in Netscape and select the
appropriate font to view tamil pages.

M K Saravanan,
Design Engineer,
The AU-KBC Centre for Internet & Telecom Technologies,
Madras Institute of Technology, Anna University,
Chrompet, Chennai 600 044.
Tamilnadu, INDIA

email: mksarav@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ph & FAX (Off):  (091) (044) 2402711