Re: Setting resolution for IBM 6547 G74 - Chip type - S3 Trio

hi,

the s3 trio 3d card is not supported in rhl 6.0 (or any other currently
available flavour of linux). there is a newer version of xfree86 that has
support for this chipset (supposedly) but it does not work on my card
(this can be downloaded from xfree86 web site). there is a commercial x
server (accel x) that claims to support this card, but their demo x server
also does not work for me (says unknown device). the basic problem is like
what one has with intel chipsets and intel motherboards; the card may have
the s3 trio 3d chipset (ie) 83c362 or some such, but the card may not be a
real s3 trio 3d card but a taiwanese clone - in which case, it may or may
not work.  hence, the only available resolution will be crappy old 640x480
vga mode. :-(

sriram