Re: UUCP-over-TCP Vs Fetchmail

We've been using fetchmail to transfer all our mails from our US office & it's
been smooth sailing over dial-up as well as leased line. I plan to use the same
mail retrieval mechanism on our ISDN line too. The configuration is very easy
plus fetchmail gives u an option to set the timeout period to communicate with
ur server. This can be useful if u're dealing with an unreliable line which
disconnect fast. You can set a releastically higher timeout for fetchmail to do
the job. One major reason for me to select fetchmail was that we had to retrieve
mails from multiple domains in the US and redistribute it locally, resolve
mail-aliases, handle multidrop mail accounts, etc. This was achived very easily
using fetchmail + some sendmail ruleset tweaking. I use sendmail to redistribute
the fetched mails locally.

There're a whole lot of other features too (checkout "man fetchmail") I haven't
used UUCP, but I must admit that i'm pretty much happy with fetchmail.

-Sridhar

PS : Here's a quote from the uucp-1.06.1 online docs :
"Unix-to-Unix Copy Program," said PDP-1. "You will never find a more wretched
hive of bugs and flamers. We must be cautious."
      ---DECWars