UUCP-over-TCP Vs Fetchmail

We have been using UUCP over TCP for email transfer between our Madras
offices for quite sometime now without any problems.

A few months back, when we opened an office at Pune, we had a similar
setup between our Pune and US servers. But to our surprise, we find
frequent timeout on a line which is very fast for FTP/HTTP - upto 41Kbps
on an ISDN line, which is good enough.

As per my understanding after going thru the discussons on the Net and the
HOWTOs, UUCP over TCP uses the 't' protocol which does not have any
error-correction or flow control and expects a 8bit clean line and hence
is to  be used for reliable networks (like the Internet). So
synchronisation fails and retries may not be working (or not even
attempted at all).

I know lot of people will say that UUCP is an outdated protocol, but pls
note that it has been (and is still) in use by very large/critical mail
servers around the world. But the problem is that it was not designed to
be used over the Internet (TCP) and hence some finetuning is required?

My main question is :-
--------------------
How is fetchmail when compared to this?
Will it solve my problem and have the mails of local users collcetd from a
remote server which supports POP and viceversa (over SMTP) with no
timeouts?

TIA

Regards,                                              Imagine Technologies
Oommen                                           16, Shaffee Mohammed Road
   				      	       	              Rutland Gate
eMail: oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx			   Chennai 600 006
       oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 					     INDIA
	   				   Voice: 91-44-8293565/66,8211733
                                            Fax : 91-44-8225341
   __   _
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a