ppp dial-in

hi,

Prabhu Ramachandran writes:
 > <snip>
 > 	as soon as your friend starts up pppd ask him to quit his
 > hyperterminal without reseting the modem (in minicom that is done by
 > ALT+q or CTLR+a+q).  Also change this in your ppp file
 >
 > /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1&
 >
 > add the & to put the pppd in the background.  I think putting it in
 > the background should help.  If it doesnt I will have to think
 > harder.  The above advice is based on what I used to do earlier.

	I am sorry to edit my own reply but here is more info.  AFAIK
when I used to connect I used to run /usr/sbin/pppd -detach
/dev/modem-port& at the dial in machine and then quit minicom without
reset and them fire up pppd on my end as root (on a root shell
obviously).  I had to manually start pppd at both ends.  I dont know
if Windoze automatically starts pppd for your friend from
hyperterminal?  If not try setting up his connection on that dialup
networking thing.  Does it work when you dial in with hyper terminal
to vsnl and then start ppp from the shell?  I dont know if it will.

The other thing is to change your ppp script to read

exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1

this is taken from Dr. Sriram machine and it should work.

hope this helps.