ppp dial-in

hi,

Anna University writes:
<snip>
 >      My friend logged in, and typed ppp at his prompt. ppp is a file in
 > $HOME containing the line "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1". On doing
 > this, pppd started ( as evident from /var/log/messages ), but there was a
 > curt message......
 >
 > 	kernel: registered device ppp0
 > 	pppd[565]: pppd 2.3.7 started by manoj, uid 502
 > 	pppd[565]: Device ttyS1 is locked by pid 546
 > 	pppd[565]: Exit

<snip>
	as soon as your friend starts up pppd ask him to quit his
hyperterminal without reseting the modem (in minicom that is done by
ALT+q or CTLR+a+q).  Also change this in your ppp file

/usr/sbin/pppd -detach /dev/ttyS1&

add the & to put the pppd in the background.  I think putting it in
the background should help.  If it doesnt I will have to think
harder.  The above advice is based on what I used to do earlier.

 >      I've been feeling a little guilty about repeatedly sending Dr. Sriram
 > the earlier mails and so I decided that this post should go here. And

	Good!  He *is* busy. And the post *should* go here or in LI. :)

Hope this works.