Re: regarding software for linux!!

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Asokan  P wrote:

pasokan> A software repository is definitely a good idea; Dr Sriram has said he would look into mirroring some linux content.
pasokan>
pasokan> RE. Cds etc., my company OS4 intends to provide these and other similar services shortly.
pasokan>
pasokan> P Asokan
pasokan> ---

The other day when we met the SGM at VSNL, he told us of their plan to
host mirror sites for popular overseas sites, so that the international
line usage will be reduced. As per some stats with them it seems, some set
of sites are very frequently used from India and it is a waste of the
international bandwidth to download the same set of data multiple times.

Why dont a delegation from ILUGC go and meet VSNL people and convince them
the need for having Linux mirror sites in India, especially for ftp sites
like that of Redhat which people often find to get into...?  We can even
contact the higher-ups in Bombay (by email or snail-mail) to get this
done.

Let us (indirectly) help the Indian Internet user community with this
mirroring move.

-
Oommen.