Re: Setting up hypernews

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, R. Sriram wrote:

sriram> Setting up aint so easy. Will need to have root access to the server. Also
sriram> cobalt has a lot of riders about what kind of software and who and how we
sriram> can install. Shashi the Third (the third person?) will clarify after finding
sriram> out from our service providers. He will also provide you a login.
sriram>
sriram> Han Solo

Pls note

1. AFAIK HyperNews doesnt have a single machine-dependent file. If we
have provision for a) unzipping a .tgz file b) Apache with authentication
provision (built-in in all versions) and c) Perl, we can run it on any
machine. HyperNews doesnt have anything other than perl and html, and hence
it is customisable to any requirement too.

2. For installing the software, I do NOT need root access at all. But
I can give those Apache settings which need to be added/changed (with root
permission) after I finish the installation. (If the webserver is not
Apache, then we need to get the corresponding settings).

3. This is what I know of and so I dont expect any hitch w.r.t the
hardware not being Intel-based.

-
Oommen.