Re: [Re: Worldwide Linux Demo Day Project]

-- Decoded: quoted-printable

Hi

 Count Me Also.
 If Any body have Linux For Sparc I will try to get
Sun Sparcstation 5 or 20 For Linux Demo Day.

With Regd

Vijai .G

Oommen Thomas <oommen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Asokan  P wrote:

pasokan> Oh no! I saw these dates (a few weeks back) but confused the demo
pasokan> day as mid Aug and thought we will skip the printed material as
pasokan> we were too short of time. In fact I do not think I mentioned
pasokan> about the printed materials to Prabhu and Arun. My apologies to
pasokan> them and the list members for incomplete information.

.
.

Lets organise things better rather than hurrying up.
Thats good news.

Also, let me add something...
Sorry for the unstructured format and the length, especially for those
who are on slow links....

I repeatedly suggest a mode of display that has been overlooked - using a
slideshow based on PowerPoint (or the StarOffice equivalent of it). That
way we can have one or more systems showing several aspects on Linux and
people who are interested will stand there and read it. Thus the
volunteers' effort can be made more effective to target the curious crowd
more.

Iam saying this based on my experience in organising such a slide show
in an (non-Linux) exhibition (long back in 91 i think) using StoryBoard
and it was a great success.

Also, this will be able to (live) demonstrate how Linux can be used for
such presentations - an area where M$ platforms comes to mind for all
people.

Then, the posters/presentation can say about successfull usage of Linux
(as servers). Sometime back our Network Consultant had recommended to dump
Linux and go in for some 'real Unix' as Linux lacks several features in
the other 'true Unices' and I had asked the opinion on various aspects in
the linux lists. The mails I got then were in a folder, but somehow lost
it. I rememeber me getting a mail from somebody in South Africa saying
they run the largest ftp site in the country on a 486 or so with several
GB hard disks and very large downloads. And the server has a very good
uptime. Such examples will be something new and interseting to people who
are used to rebooting their Win95/NT systems very frequently. And yes, the
fact that the resource requirement of Linux is very minimal is also
something we can show. I remember running Linux (old version) on a 286
with 4MB, which is unthinkable with '95 !! Till recently we had a 20Mhz
386 (an antique piece) running a stable Linux server !!!

PS: Iam not sure of my physical presence at the show in September, as I
will be moving to US soon. But Imagine Technologies will surely be
represented by my colleague Mr. L Saravanan.

-
Oommen.

-- Listar MIME Decryption --------------
-- Content: text/html