a very interesting mail about Wireless in local loop

Dear friends
     You must have all heard of Dr. Jhunjunuwala at IITM who leads the
team developing the Wireless in local loop system. I got this mail from
egroups and it's very interesting. Dr. J has now come up with a new system
to reduce the load on the PSTN when people connect to the internet. As you
all know, our phone system, or for that matter, any phone system is
designed for voice telephony principally. data comms is handled albeit not
efficiently. The hundreds of times the data is digitised, reconverted to
analog will obviously take its toll. And besides the phone system is
designed on the principle thatnot everyone picks up the phone at the same
time. but that is now being ruled out since uor calls to connect to the
internet are usually very long in nature - typically 10 minutes at the
least.
    Dr. J's system manages to overcome all this. Please read the text of
the interview with him. It's very informative. I'd have sent it to the
list, except that Prabhu will ream me out the next time he sees me since
the text is about 16k bytes.

I've put up the stuff at the following address ....

     http://members.xoom.com/manisridhar/will

     Those reading the text will notice the term DECT being used
frequently. I didn't notice if it has been expanded and explained.
DECT is Digital Enhanced Cordless Telephony - a standard for telephony
over radio just like we have the other standards - GSM and AMPS for our
cellular phones.

regards
mani sridhar