Re: Wierd RH 6.0 behaviour.

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 07:40:00PM +0200, veliath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

Hi,

 => u> 	- /var usage going to 100% as detected by df, and not a single
 => u> file or files being found on the partition to account for the space.
 => 	Hmmm....kernels track usage of a filesystem by the number of
 => 	open files in a filesystem. If a file is open and has been
 => 	deleted, its contents will not be freed until the last close.

		I suppose lsof is my friend here then. This problem
clears itself only after a reboot, when usage goes back to a sane 9-10%.
Is there an alternative solution ? I've never seen this happen before.

 => u> 	- telnet into the server taking interminable periods of time
 => 	"telnet" attempts to figure out what the name of the client
 => 	machine is. This might take a long time if its winds down to
 => 	DNS.

 	I may be talking through my hat here, but the /etc/host.conf
file lists hosts before bind, and since we do not run any sort
of name service here (tn.nic.in does it, I guess), all telnet(d) needs
to do is look at the complete /etc/hosts files on every box. Besides,
this also happens when telnet is passed the IP.

	Thanks.

					 - arun