Re: Usage of Linux in place of NT

Hi G !
You really just have to tell them about the stability of UNIX/Linux.  I
know a guy who had two computers in the same room, one Windows 95 and the
other Linux, he decided to count how many times he had to format the hard
disk and resetup everything on each computer (he=B4s always fooling around
with both).  Turned out that the Windows 95 machine needed this 8 times,
while the Linux one has been running for 3 and a half years without
restarting...
Windows NT is heavy...it requires very expensive hardware (and NT is
expensive), but doesn=B4t give any better performance than UNIX/Linux, quite
frankly, it doesn=B4t even get close to UNIX/Linux in speed, stability and
other important sections, including security.
In the long run, it would be better to download (free..) Linux from
www.redhat.com or www.calderasystems.com or from some other Linux
distributor and use that, it doesn=B4t require better hardware every 6
months, it doesn=B4t crash, it doesn=B4t find serious bugs that it takes mon=
ths
to fix...

If you=B4re using TCP/IP (which you probably are) UNIX/Linux have the
advantage that TCP/IP is their native language, the Internet started in
UNIX machines back in the sixties and therefor it is based on UNIX values.
And last but not least; if you are used to working in UNIX and you are an
important factor in this (system administrator, etc.), it is much better
for the whole system to have an OS that you are familiar with.

I hope you can persuade them,
Kristofer Sigurdsson
kristo@xxxxxxxxx