mulinux and multiple os booting

Hi

> From: Yarra Madhukar <madhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: aravind_balu@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: mulinux,  floppy distributions
> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 02:29:55 +0530 (IST)
> hi
> we tried installing mulinux from a dos m/c with 16mb ram and 260 mb
hard
> disk. when i run install in the mulinux directory, it asks me for
the
> partition where the images are kept. none of the partitions seem to
work.
> have u done this sort of a thing? is there a specific type of dos
> partition that is required?

Thats suprising.
My computer is similar to yours. I have win95 on my harddisk.

This is what I did.

I downloaded the following files from the site
dostools.zip, mulinux-5r7.tgz, X11.tgz and GCC.tgz

I unziped dostools.zip into a directory called c:\mul using winzip.
I copied mulinux-5r7.tgz, X11.tgz and GCC.tgz into the same directory
i.e.  c:\mul

I restarted in msdos mode and cd'ed to c:\mul and ran install.bat

when it asked for the partitions the images are kept I entered
hda1  (my hard disk has 2 partitions)

When it asked me which directory I kept the installation files I
entered    \mul

Thats it. The rest of the installation is fairly simple and very
straigtforward.

It this clear enough?

I have also prepared the 3 floppies and carry it around, where ever I
go. I have installed mulinux using the floppies on a number of  my
friend's computers (all win95 users) (using the clone command). They
simply din't believe that so much can be packed on to the floppies.
In one case I actually removed the harddisk and ran mulinux, to prove
to the owner that it really runs off the floppy (well.  off the ram
disk actually).

> can we make the floppies from a linux m/c? if yes, how?

Of course yes. But I have not done it since I dont have a linux m/c
right now. Will be have one very soon. Can any one else answer this ?

There are also a lot of optional modules which you can install into
the kernal which is available as a seperate file from the site in a
file called MODULES-36.tgz Though I downloaded that file too I
haven't fiddled with it as yet.

I would like to know about if there is a boot manager which would
allow me to boot into more that 2 operating systems.

I am thinking of installing windows 95, windows nt, linux(redhat),
linux(debian), BeOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD on seperate partitions of an
8GB hard disk. Will LILO allow me to do this?

Well I know it sounds crazy. But I intend to have such a config for
some time atleast.

Have fun and help increase our tribe.

Aravind