CVS permission problem on commit

Hi!
I am facing this irritating problem with cvs. Whenever I commit a
file, CVS changes the permission of the file to read-only. While I am
the owner of the file, this requires overriding the readonly flag
everytime I save, and Emacs even refuses to let me edit the file!

I don't recall this error cropping up before. Wonder whether it has
something to do with directory permissions or some other new settings
I am using now. BTW, all the directories in my checked out area are
setgid to my group. Could this make a difference?

TIA,
  Sandip