Keytable and event queue

Hello!
What does "keytable" mean in Linux? What is the bit vector of the keyboard and what is its significance? How can I associate a keypress with the actual value?

Also, I would like to get the following clarified. I have written a program in C to find the length of the event queue using Xlib.

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <X11/Xos.h>

int main()
{
	char *displayname = NULL;
	Display *dpy;

	dpy = XOpenDisplay (displayname);
	    	if (!dpy)
		{
			printf("Error opening display.\n");
			exit(1);
		  }
	printf("%d",dpy->qlen);
	XCloseDisplay(dpy);
	return 0;
}

The program does not compile and I get the error "Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type" in the printf statement. Am I not allowed access to the event queue? What is the mistake in the above program?

Waiting for a reply,
-Karthika

http://bol.rediff.com