RE: some questions

On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 6:28 PM, sindhoor pangal
[SMTP:sindhoor@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:
| 1. what is the difference between the linux system and
| linux distribution. a book says the linux system is a
| std environment for applications but does not provide
| means of managing the full functionality. what does
| that mean ?

I'm not sure of this one, but I think it goes this way....

A linux system is something you have - the kernel + various software. A
linux distribution is what RedHat,Caldera, etc. offer you (a collection of
RPMs). Again, I'm just thinking it's that way! ;-)

| 2. what is posix compliance ?

POSIX is a standard. http://www.posix.org/ for more info. Basically,
anything that is POSIX compliant can be ported across platforms easily
without having to worry too much. For example, DJGPP, a compiler for DOS is
POSIX compliant. Any POSIX compliant program written on UNIX can be ported
to DJGPP. Get the point...

| 3.'linux is not public domain software'. what is
| public domain ?

Public domain software is that software wherein you give your source code
away. Anyone is free to use it in *any* way they like. Linux is *not* public
domain since it falls under the GNU GPL which *does not* allow people to use
the software in anyway they like. See the GNU GPL for more info.

| thats it for now :)

;-)

--
Prashant TR <tr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Web: http://www.midpec.com/

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
any computer.