Logical Partitions ...

Hi

I am writing a program in C to partition a hard disk
However now I am stuck in that I am not able to comprehend the
details of the  structure 'partition' <linux/genhd.h> as regards logical
partitions.

To be more precise, I create an extended partition say of 600 MB
(/dev/hda4) and if I want to create 2 logical partitions (/dev/hda5 and
/dev/hda6) of say 300 MB each.
To do this, I feel that this partition should be written on /dev/hda4.
Please correct me if I am wrong and also do let me know from which byte in
the first 512 bytes of /dev/hda4 should I start writing this partition.

Anil.